Here’s another warm autumn salad that I like making… a salad in three part harmony…
Part One: Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of sea salt
In small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients with a wire whisk. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Part Two: Salad
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbled
In large salad bowl, toss greens, onion and half the vinaigrette. Transfer to large platter.
Part Three: Caramelized Pears
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 firm ripe pears, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 teaspoon sugar
In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over high heat.
Now, I know I said two tablespoons of butter in the ingredient list, but… I’ve taken to using Ghee instead. Ghee, available at my local Indian food store, Maharaja Market (great place for spices) is a clarified butter. This means that many impurities in the butter have been separated out and the resulting clarified butter is less likely to smoke or burn while heating.
Now, add pears and sugar; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until fruit is tender and golden. Cool slightly.
Add the pears, cheese, and pecans to the salad and drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over this.
Now, serve it up warm of course.