It’s squid week, a little less dangerous sounding than shark week, but squid is an often overlooked ingredient, and good on our sustainability index. So, what do you say we add a little danger and whip up a quick spicy Thai squid stir-fry.
Here’s what you’ll need:
• 1/2 lb squid, cleaned, cut in rings & tentacles
• a big handful of basil leaves
• 1 small white onion, cut into chunks
• 2 scallions, cut into threads
• 1 or 2 fresh plumb tomatos, cut in eighths
• 3 fresh chiles cut into strips
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon thai chile sauce
• 2 tablespoon cooking oil
Heat a wok over high heat, add oil and garlic, cook until the garlic
Just begins to brown, then add onion, and scallion, cook till the onions are translucent. Add the tomato, squid, fish sauce, chili sauce,
chiles slices & basil. Stir with a flourish. Add about 2 tablespoons
of water, to make a bit of sauce and deglaze the wok. Stir
again and cook until everything’s hot but do not overcook.
Remove & serve over rice noodles.