Picnics are a perfect time to perfect those chilled salads and slaws that remind us that it’s too warm for hot food. So, with picnics in mind I put together two great tastes that should go well together and blended them with a variation of the creamy coleslaw dressing I like to whip up. So lets try the Apple and Celery Root slaw.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 bulbs (about 1 pound) celery root , peeled and cut into small matchsticks
- 2 sweet apples (I use Macintosh) apples, cored and cut into small matchsticks
- 1 large egg, hardboiled and finely chopped
Combine the mayonnaise, tarragon, lemon zest, salt, and horseradish in a medium bowl. Toss the lemon juice, celery root, and apples together in a large bowl and stir in the mayonnaise mixture and egg. Let sit at least 45 minutes before serving.