Hazy Hot and Humid… just a perfect day for a platter full of fresh juicy fruit to snack on. You’ll find this platter to be delicious, refreshing and a healthy alternative to salty, high fat snacks. Serve this along with the chicken salad stuffed tomatoes (tomorrow’s post) for a cool lunch with which to beat the heat. Oh, did I mention that Western Beef had a great sale on limes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 Granny smith apples peeled, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into wedges
- 1 Honey dew melon, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges 2 to 3 inches wide
- 2 pounds watermelon, rind removed, and fruit cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges 2 to 3 inches wide
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into wedges
- 1 ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and sliced crosswise
- Creamy Lime Dipping Sauce
Creamy Lime Dipping Sauce
- 1 container (6 ounces) vanilla fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced
To make the Creamy Lime Dipping Sauce combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well to combine. The important thing to remember is to remove ALL of the white pith and seeds from the jalapeno. Nearly all the capsaicin, the acidic source of the pepper’s heat, comes from the rind. The rind, once the pith is removed has a strong fruity flavor.
So make a patio picnic of it and whip up a couple mojitos
2 oz White Rum
.75 oz Simple Syrup
.75 oz Lime Juice
Take the leaves off of one of the sprigs of mint and put them in your mixing tin along with the simple syrup and the lime juice. Muddle the mint gently. Add the rum and some ice and shake well. Strain (you should double-strain) into a glass filled with cracked ice. Top with soda, garnish with the remaining mint.