Clam chowder is a wonderful dish this time of year. When the weather turns cold and blustery, there’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup. And with the added kick of minced jalapeno and Texas Pete’s hot sauce, this soup will open up those sinuses!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 5 drops Texas Pete, or other hot pepper sauce
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, place the vegetable oil, onion, carrots and celery. Slowly cook and stir 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Mix in the bacon, potato, clam juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, white pepper, seasoning salt, parsley, marjoram, garlic powder, thyme, mustard, Cajun seasoning and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat and simmer until the potato is tender, about 20 minutes.